Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Guy with the Marti Gras Beads

I have noticed that people are very hesitant to sit next to another person, especially in public areas. But what I realized that was more shocking to me, was that I was part of that crowd as well. It is uncomfortable for me to sit next to some random stranger, especially if they are within one foot of me. I think I have this invisible bubble around me of comfort, and I do not like breaking it.

I have been trying to shrink that bubble this week. So anytime I am waiting for a train or a bus, and I see someone sitting down, I go and I try to sit near them. I'm not awkward about it of course, by sitting right next to another person, to where our legs are touching- I am not that daring (yet).

I have to tell you though, it was the hardest thing for me to sit in the middle of two random ladies yesterday when waiting for the train. I think I even had goosebumps, because as I sat down, and while waiting, I was trying my hardest to not move at all, so that I can avoid contact. I could feel the hair on my arms standing straight up, because I was so alert.

And today, the same thing happened. I sat in the middle of two people in class, and the seats are so close, that my neighbor's shoulder was literally inches away from mine- and I felt just so uncomfortable.


Well- I am still not planning on giving up. One of the reasons why humans are so evolutionarily successful is because we are part of groups, and because we exist as part of a society. I really feel that we should be able to be comfortable being near each other.

So now on to my actual story:

I had to ride on the Metrorail today to get to lab. So I decided to sit next to this African American male, who had a seat available next to him. So I went, asked him if I could sit next to him. And sat down. First part of the mission accomplished.

But that was not all- I really wanted to talk to this person as well. Get to know his story, make a human connection. So I observed him, and I noticed that he had red Mari Gras beads on- and I had my topic of conversation. So I started with that, and he told me about his five year old son who gave him the beads. And we continued from there, to talking about his schooling, and his struggles in life, and how he wanted to be a motivational speaker.

And at this point, I could see that my stop was coming up- but I was so intrigued by his conversation that I did not want to stop speaking to him. After all, I probably would never see this person again. So I did what I generally do when I panic- I did nothing. I continued listening to him, and talking. And just like a stalker, I got off at the stop where he got off. Continued walking with him to the bus station where he was to take his bus, and talked to him until his bus came.

He was kind enough (or rather, I was lucky enough) because he did not ask about where I was going- because I really had no idea.

I learned to be appreciative of what my life has given to me, and all the blessings I have in my life.

He shared with me some of the jobs he had to do in his life to earn money, and I was really impressed by how motivated this person was to keep going no matter what life threw at him. He shared that once on his job, his thumb split open, and because he did not want to get fired, he wrapped it up quickly, and continued working. Don't you think this guy is impressive? And even though he probably will have no home past June, he was still working, and taking care of his son, and going to school as well- and staying as positive as a human could be.

I think I have been meeting too many amazing people these days. It makes me feel weak when I complain about my daily problems.

 The worst (funniest) part was that one of my friends was actually at the bus stop ironically, and after the guy left, my friend asked me what I was doing there. And you can just imagine how embarrassing it was to give the honest explanation?










No comments:

Post a Comment