Monday, April 9, 2012

Blah day

Today was just a "blah day!" It started pretty badly actually. I'm not sure why but I was in the worst mood, and  I was upset about everything, and I even felt sick.

But I spoke with someone special and it just made the day go exponentially better. ;) Well stuff kept going pretty wrong- but at least my perspective was not super warped.

I was so tired today that I made such a silly mistake in lab. Here is the super silly story:

  • I had to filled a 96 well plate. Each well had different amounts of each solution: protein (ferritin), DI water, nanoparticles, and a salt and precipitate solution I made. I was so careful and made sure everything was perfect because it is so easy to mess up those plates. Everything went perfectly- no mistakes at all. I was at the last step where I had to just add 8 uL of nanoparticles to each well. I was being seriously so silly that I forgot to set the pipette to 8 uL, and it was set to 48 uL. The pipette that I was using was one where you could dispense into eight wells at the same time. So after adding 48 uL of nanoparticles to 3 rows (each of 8), I realized that I was running out of the precious (because we had to super-concentrate it) nano-particles too soon. 

So not only did I have to redo the 24 wells all over again- which took me like an hour, I also ran out of a lot of the nanoparticles, which takes about four hours to prepare a 4 mL solution!!!!!! Gaaah! And then I had to remove my dialysis samples, and realized both my samples were aggregated (basically useless). Aaah!
Can I officially call this an fml day? I would say so!

On a brighter note- I got tickets to go see the Houston Symphony from school! I'm very very excited. I have seen the Emory Symphony because my friend was part of it- but I haven't really seen any other orchestra perform. And earlier this semester was when I went to my first ballet as well. Can you believe that? I guess I'm more "homegirl" rather than "classy girl with the pinky lifted."  But who says you cannot experience different cultures. I am always in awe at all the beautiful cultures coming together, and yet keeping their old traditions and arts alive. I would love to experience all these different cultures- which are only a couple of minutes away from me. This semester I am experiencing more classically American and European things. I have attended an Opera, a Ballet, a Play, and not a symphony. And this summer- I am planning on doing the exact opposite. You will soon hear all about my summer plans. ;)

The outfit below is actually what I wore to the ballet. I had never worn this outfit outside of my home before that day. It was actually a dress my mom got made before we moved to the US about 11 years ago.



Too tired- so I'm calling it an early night, and sleeping at 10:33 pm. Well at least I hope so- my body is very moody.

Ps: Isn't "Dare You to Move," just such an amazing song? I think it goes well with my day- or rather any terrible day. It is so beautiful!!!! If you haven't listened to it- I urge you to listen to it pronto! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi.. read all ur blogs.. and that made me think.. the Noshu I knew has certainly grown up! Loved the way you described both cultures and how they made you who you are..

    I hope you continue writing.. and I certainly wanna see the paint work you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raaju! I feel very special. :)
      I will definitely try to continue writing. I really enjoy it. And yes- I guess I have grown up a little bit. Only a little though.
      Were you talking about the garage pictures? I'll be putting those up tonight!

      Delete