Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Debilitating Flaws


I have been thinking a lot about personal flaws and disabilities. I believe that we often allow flaws to define us, and we forget the other blessings we are given. I do not believe that life is unfair. It might seem that way, but I really believe that this universe runs on a particular balance of things, with many trade-offs. So if we have flaws in some areas, we also have several skills at hand that need to be used. But motivation, passion, and self-confidence are keys in whether we unleash our skills, or whether we allow flaws to define us.

I was watching Ted Talks about Beauty (on Netflix), and there was a beautiful quote that the speaker said which really applies here: "If we want to discover the full potential of our humanity, we need to celebrate those heartbreaking strengths and those glorious disabilities that we all have."

The speaker,  Aimee Mullins, does not have legs, so she wears different types of legs as fashion, and it has enabled her to bring a fresh perspective into what disability and fashion are.

I hope to use my flaws to understand myself and humanity in my own unique way, and hopefully use these, so called "flaws," to my advantage as well. After all, as Mullins says, "It is our humanity, and all the potential within it, that makes us beautiful."

And I totally think I (we as humans) am beautiful! ;)


I was watching other Ted Talks, and these are some really great quotes that I wanted to share:

"If you believe that you are beautiful inside and out, then there is no look you can't pull off. "

"I feel as though as little comfort as possible is a good thing you know..."

"If you do many things, you get to feel lousy about everything...you don't master feeling lousy about one thing."

"maybe that's where all the inspiration thing started from: puppets."


 Last thing:

I wanted to practice my urdu (my native language) because I am a terrible urdu reader, and instead of reading Bombay Mix, I read, boh-mah-ba-iii  mii-cuss. I couldn't stop laughing when I realized how badly I butchered those words!!


Well take care. I am so glad to be blogging again. My mind is exploding with things to share, but I was simply so busy with school and finals! Now that I am done, I can blog much more! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment