Thursday, March 7, 2013

I have LED on my mind

We are doing this project in sculpture with LEDs, and we are exploring contemporary sculpture. Honestly, contemporary sculpture is just confusing! It seems like you need a radical idea that takes somewhat minimal effort to create, but at the same time, it is supposed to provoke thought and be deep, while at the same time, because it's art, it doesn't really need to have a meaning.

I was walking by the Museum of Fine Arts a couple of days ago, and they have their red sculpture, which has been there for several years, and I am very doubtful that that sculpture piece can provoke any long and meaningful conversation. So I decided, I was going to put some wire together that looked pretty, and then decorate it with some feathers and beads. As you can probably guess, my piece was not  received as well by the teacher, and he asked me to start over. Although I hate to admit it, I think he was right. It looked kind of like a bird's nest, but a bit worse.

Okay, I know this is definitely controversial, but if I was to give advice about contemporary sculpture, this is what I would say: Basically, if you are a beginner, then you have to either make your art piece really large that it captures attention or you have to attach a hidden meaning that can create conversation and controversy. However, if you are recognized already, I think people will pretty much buy your work, unless its just something stupid. Then again, if some guy can bring his own poop in a container and sell that as art (which is actually a famous piece, although I can't seem to recall a name), then I guess anything is possible.


So for my piece, I am doing combining the four natural elements, but in a modern way, but making a water bottle sculpture with tissue paper and LED lights. I think it can provoke conversation. I am just not sure about my skill as an artist to bring this about.




No comments:

Post a Comment