Sunday, March 31, 2013

Man's Alterations of Nature

As I mentioned before in a prior blogpost, we have been working on a contemporary art piece involving LEDs in my sculpture class, and I said I would make something that would explore the four elements of nature, fire, earth, water and wind, and how they exist in our daily lives.

The final product is a sculpture made of used water bottles. I used forest wire, and painted seashells, which not only hold the structure together, but also look like vines and flowers. I hoped for the water bottle structure to look like a mini tree with branches, and the seashells to look like little flowers sprouting from this tree. I basically spent about five entire hours trying to get LEDs to work inside my structure, which was absolutely a failure. On the bright side, I got to use christmas lights which kind of look like little lit up vines in the tree. I used blue cloth pieces to symbolize beautiful and clean water flowing. Altogether, I used modern objects, basically junk, that exist all around us, and I arranged them in a manner to create a beautiful (or at least I think it's beautiful) structure. I hoped that the structure would remind the audience that the elements of nature are all around us, hidden in their modern shells.

My hope was to convey to the audience that respect should be paid to these elements that make up our world. In the past, these elements were worshiped because we humans could not exist without them, and we were at their mercy. In modern society, these elements are at our disposal, and they have become commodities that lay in the the backseats of our cars, and get thrown away. However, it is important to be reminded of just how dependent we are on these four elements, and that what we have and need in our daily lives could not exist without these basic elements. Electricity, paper, Coca-Cola, study tables, and basically everything around us in modern forms, are man's alterations of nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment