Sunday, February 17, 2013

Plaster Representation of Plastic Surgery. Cliche?

I am in mental turmoil about cliched topics. I do not know when a topic become cliched. When does one decide that a topic is too cliched?

I am very interested in exploring modern culture's aspirations towards beauty in terms of physical looks. My personal belief is that the human body is absolutely beautiful. I mean, we start, literally, with a sperm and an egg, which create a zygote, and then very quickly, the zygote splits more and more, and then the stem cells begin to specialize, and you get a unique human, with a beating heart and a brain and a kidney and two eyes and toe nails. The best part is that even with so many similarities, no two humans are exactly the same- no mass production here to ruin the mystery of each product. That process itself, I believe, is proof enough of a God's existence! So to me, it is very upsetting when people are not able to recognize the beauty of their uniqueness and their existence. We have become a culture which aims to mass produce barbie humans through the processes of subtle make-up, plastic surgery and weight-loss diets and surgeries.

With my newly learned plaster mold-making skills, I want to explore this topic of plastic surgery. My plan currently is to make molds that look like very large syringes (made from an air pump for a fitness ball), and then breaking them randomly, and putting them together randomly to create a giant collage of broken syringe pieces. I am thinking about painting the molds to make them look like a syringe, and then writing with red, "broken" everywhere on the collage. I am currently also debating about whether I should write, "Are You" in large letters on the collage.

My main conundrum is whether this topic is too cliched in our society to be discussed any longer. I wonder if everyone kind of acknowledges that we have become such a culture with these expectations of beauty from ourselves. I wonder whether we find it drab when someone brings this discussion up yet once again. I am so afraid of my art being labeled as "just another piece about plastic surgery." I mean right? How can I shock my audience with my piece? Will this be enough? I suppose we will have to see. I am hoping to finish tomorrow.

Two wax molds I made are shown below, just to give guys a general idea of how the "syringes" would look. Woah! Talk about variety in molds.



The picture below is of my final project. I would have liked to spend more time on it. However, the words on there are supposed to read "Are You Broken" and the word "broken" is on several other areas of the piece.



2 comments:

  1. Well, plastic surgery itself is a surgery which not only helps to develop beauty but it also helps to reduce weight, remove wrinkles, scars and marks of the face and body.
    plastic surgery sydney | plastic surgery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that plastic surgery does have benefits, especially after surgery. However, I think we have to be very careful about surgery for wrinkles and just other marks on our body that we do not like. I know it is difficult to accept marks or wrinkles on your body because it defies the norm of what is considered beautiful in our society. However, I dream to be in a society where it doesn't matter that I get wrinkles when I am 50, or that I have stretch marks, or that I have a scar on my arm from an accident. Because I am still me, and I have a heart and I am alive and therefore I am beautiful. What do you think?

      Delete