Saturday, February 16, 2013

Who Am I: An Attempt at Capturing Self Through Physical Objects

Who am I? How can you ask me that? There is no answer!

Or perhaps there is one, and it is that I do not know, and I probably never will, at least in the scope of this life. I have no idea who I am, or what I am supposed to be doing on this earth. I do not even know if who I think I am is really who I am, and if who I am is really what I show myself to be. We are all kind of thrown into this earth, and people around us often tell us what is the truth about this life, and they put upon us expectations, and generally, we ourselves also make also make up rules and expectations for ourselves, and we follow them. But the truth is, whether you would like to believe it or not, we, none of us, have a  clue about ourselves and about life. But we follow what makes sense, what appeals to our logic and our senses, and we act like what we think we should act like, and in the end, we "all, float on, okay, (modest mouse)." And I think I'm okay with that.

But more to the point: How does one go about trying to make a self-portrait? How do you portray yourself, especially with inanimate objects. I mean, that not only takes some level of creativity and craziness, but also some level of courage, to be able to be open to others about who you think you are, and what you represent. See the key is that if you make a self portrait, for it to be good, you have to be honest about yourself, no nonsense b.s. about what you want others to think about you, who you want to be, how pretty you want it to look. You have to look deep within your heart, with courage, and be "real," with yourself, and then you need to make it and show it with confidence and even some pride.

Well, I am not sure if I captured it myself well in my self-portrait, but here is what it looks like.

Some cool facts:
  • We made a toilet-paper doll in Special Needs several years ago, and it was absolutely my favorite activity. so the bottom of my sculpture is made of toilet paper rolled- which by-the-way, took me hours to do!
  • I used laces from an old outfit of mine. 
  • The orange button things were sent by my by awesome cousin to me from pakistan. 
  • I made one good friend when several people left Afghanistan around 2000 and came to Pakistan, and many of them ended up living inside our religious center because they had no place to go. She taught me how to make that upside-down origami flower that makes up the top half of the dress on human looking sculpture thing. That is basically the only origami thing I have really ever known how to make. 
I tried to use items that were significant to me about my past, and gave the sculpture a human looking form, which represents kind of who I am today. I take a lot of pride in my culture, and I love my friends, including my special needs students.

I tried to make the head form clay of different colors, and I made it much smaller than a head should be on a body that size. I tried to show how molded and perhaps how confused my mind is, especially through the googly eyes. I was trying to show a contrast between the outside representation of something- the "cover of the book" analogy basically, and the content inside (the mind). The class did not exactly follow my logic there, and I guess I don't blame them. I do not think the point is very easily grasped through the physical rendering of my idea. On the bright side, I think my piece looks really pretty, and I like pretty art. :) 

Note: My P. Chem textbook is not part of the self-portrait. Although, I can probably make a case for why it fits in with it.



Below are other self-portraits from other members of the class. Clearly, there is no one way to represent self. I was pretty impressed!




Ciao for now. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment